'Chortle' is our new family sailing boat. She is a Sadler 29, with bilge keels, twin skinned and polyurethane filled hull (apparently unsinkable) and was built in 1984. She has received considerable amounts of TLC this summer, a refurbishment infact from dad and we now begin our adventures.
The engine was lifted in yesterday with the help of john our saltyseadog friend who has effectively provided helpful and considered advice throughout our sailing adventures, his sagely advice is much appreciated specially when he so effortlessly points out what will be the failing factor. And the engine cupeling to the prop shaft matched with little engine mount adjustments. The pee bracket on the prop was glassed in place solidly thankfully its over heating of resin did not go to far beyond some surface bubblies. John did ask before i started what was the max thickness could i build it up!
Well that pretty well fixes the engine beds down just need to gelcoat them a pritty colour in the morning. It was very satisfying drilling down through to the original embedded metal beds tapping threads in them and bolting the new beds down. Double bedded i guess.
This is me at the a real marine engineering works, where i picked up chortles new engine, did my best to look the part, some folk in the works thought i was a spot check safety inspector from bp with my late dads boiler suit on...
After a hot glassing day yesterday, i have cut away the bubbles in the glass mat, it did not like going round tight corners and will now do a fearing job with thickened goo and rounding of corners before any more mat goes on. Hopefully i can get the mat flat this time and build up a good strong job.
This has not been something i was looking forward too and the hot weather 30 deg. C in the boat today has not helped, cutting into to the glass fibre of the engine bay beds and re-making them for the new engine, is still only part way done on day two. About the most hideous job done so far, cramped hot frustrating and very critical to get it right and accurate. Pleased i am doing it myself though to know it is done to standard. Well so far its not to bad but not with out furious concentration and hard work, the joys of doing a job never done before. After some very careful measurements of the engine, making a jig to attach to the prop shaft coupling, marking out cutting into the old beds and fashioning some bits of teak, the engine was lifted in to test its new bed and it very reassuringly fits, basically as the instillation manual says it should 85mm off its bed. So now into the glassing it all together and making good the big holes i have made.
The tide is turning in chortles refurbishment. The new engine arrived on friday having had a lovely tour round roystons, a real marine engineering works and very helpful local supplier of volvo penta engines.
Well its not race profile perfection i am after but bottom of the rudder was badly worn and pitting just into the foam core. A thickened polyester with glass strand filling and fairing of the rudder base part done gel coat cover before epoxy barrier and then copper coat anti foiling to go. Also faired in the collapsed rudder area around pintle straps, gelcoat on tomorrow and oh joy more sanding, buffing and waxing for the white out of the water section.